Nunn Construction is seeking a motivated and detail oriented individual, looking for a long-term position, who takes pride in their work product and relationships. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter with excellent communication skills. This person must be detail-oriented, able to balance multiple tasks and thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
Working at Nunn is more than just collecting a paycheck. Nunn has comprehensive career development plans for all departments, where our employees’ ambition and hard work is recognized and supported with personal and professional growth opportunities. At Nunn, we also stress the importance of strong social connections amongst staff in cultivating a healthy and productive work environment. We host monthly team building activities and annual service opportunities to build a stronger team and relationships outside of work. We believe in supporting each other and our community!
Nunn Construction is a Construction Manager/General Contractor specializing in commercial building projects that matter to Colorado communities including Municipal, Educational, Non-Profit/Faith-Based, Healthcare, and Commercial Office projects. Our Headquarters office is in Colorado Springs with additional offices in Pueblo and Durango, Colorado.
This is a full-time position in our Colorado Springs office. An Estimator is responsible for the development of budgets and estimates, ensuring the design meets the construction budget while maximizing the scope of work on smaller, less complex projects with minimal assistance. On larger, more complex projects, the Estimator will receive oversight and guidance from a Senior Estimator.
Their main role in creating an organized budget sets the stage for the design and field team to complete a successful project that meets the Owner’s needs and expectations. They are responsible for working with the design team to provide all estimating services with our GMP and Design/Build Projects and lead hard bid estimates as required.
This position encompasses a variety of responsibilities that include:
- Coordinate with Interns, Architects, Operations Management, and Owner’s Representatives for coordination of preconstruction services, delivering projects at the lowest reasonable cost while maintaining compliance with contract documents and quality measures.
- Guide the project from preconstruction into construction, providing a road map through an organized estimate that is to be handed off to the field team for continued project success.
- Organize and lead OAC preconstruction meetings with Owners and participate in design team meetings. Manage the preparation of documents and meeting minutes.
- Communicate Nunn Construction’s Vision, Mission and Values in ways that gain the support of others.
- Mentor, motivate and guide others to reach personal, professional, and company-wide goals.
- Support Business Development efforts by maintaining client relationships, offering technical expertise and advice throughout the entire timeline – from opportunity to pursuit through execution of awarded contract.
- Engage with co-workers in a professional and personable manner. Communicate clearly, and mediate conflicts between team members when they arise.
- Work alongside co-workers to share ideas and knowledge, helping those around you to succeed.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Owners, Architects, Subcontractors and Project Stakeholders through effective and consistent communication and coordination.
- Create and manage the preconstruction phase schedule by identifying potential long lead items, manage lead times, obtain and incorporate schedule feedback from the assigned operations team, identify needs for potential bid packages or early award of trades, present schedule to Owners, Design Team and Project Stakeholders. Coordinate with assigned Operations team to integrate the preconstruction schedule into the overall construction schedule.
- Identify long lead time equipment and/or materials which need to be procured early to avoid schedule delays.
- Develop conceptual estimates and present to the Owner and Design Team as design ideas are developed.
- Complete detailed, organized, accurate and timely estimates at each phase of design based on the nature and extent of the scope of work. Present organized budgets to the Owner throughout the design phase.
- Assess market conditions and impacts on construction pricing by reviewing posted construction cost indexes and adjust historical cost data accordingly, obtain feedback from subcontractor trades on current market conditions, obtain updated unit pricing when available and update historical cost data accordingly.
- Analyze and understand the contract documents for your assigned project(s) prior to sending out for subcontractor bidding, identifying general requirements and potential risks. Divide scopes of work for subcontractors in an effort to minimize scope gaps.
- Provide cost savings ideas (Value Engineering, alternative materials, scope reduction) as necessary to help the preconstruction team keep the project within budget.
- Oversee constructability reviews and notify the Owner and Design team of any issues such as; impractical details, unavailable materials, etc.
- Manage the GMP process; coordinate with required phases of the project bidding and procurement needed to maintain the schedule, oversee/manage the process with subcontractors to ensure accurate scope information is being bid, present updated GMP pricing information to project stakeholders, develop and manage an approved alternate or value engineering list during the GMP process.
- Perform and/or manage the quantity takeoff and field verification processes as needed for assigned projects.
- Help maintain a historical cost database within the estimating software.
- Responsible for subcontractor outreach and relations. Maintain positive rapport within the industry to receive adequate sub coverage on assigned projects.
- Manage/oversee the subcontractor solicitation and selection process on bidding projects, identify and pre-qualify subcontractors to bid. Responsible for instructions to bidders, trade scope documents, bid forms and complete bid tabs to ensure complete and competitive bids. Answer subcontractor bid related questions.
- Manage subcontractor pre-bid meetings as well as the preparation of documents and meeting minutes.
- Perform subcontractor post-bid interviews to vet out subcontractor proposals, scope, and labor force before subcontract award.
- Participate in project interviews, representing Nunn in a professional manner, to win negotiated work.
Technical Skills & Training:
- Mastery Knowledge Sage Estimating Software
- Mastery Knowledge of iSqFt Software
- Mastery Knowledge of PlanSwift Software
- Mastery Knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Strong Knowledge of Bluebeam PDF Software
- Strong Knowledge of Asta Scheduling Software
- Strong Knowledge of Exporting Sage Reports for Job Setup in Viewpoint/Vista Software
- Strong Knowledge of Viewpoint/Vista Job Cost Reports
- Working Knowledge of Modelogix
- Working Knowledge of Geotechnical and/or Soils Reports
- Working Knowledge of PPRBD Permit Process
- Working Knowledge of Mechanical Systems
- Medical/Vision & Dental – eligible first of the month after 60 days of employment
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) – 3 weeks per year of PTO once accrued at 2.31 hours per week, beginning at time of employment
- Paid Holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2), Christmas
- 401(K) Retirement Savings Plan – eligible the first month after six months of employment. Company match is 100% of the first 4% of salary (and bonus). Employee deferrals and company match are 100% vested.
- Short/Long Term Disability – eligible the first month after six months of employment.
- Fiscal Year End Bonus – Normally 0-15% of annual salary dependent on profitability of company and individual performance. First year bonus will be prorated based on months of service.
If this level of challenge excites you, please apply online below. Upload your resume and cover letter – labeled with ‘your name and Preconstruction Manager/Estimator Position.’ Salary Range for this position is $65-95K, depending on experience.
Nunn Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.