Senior Preconstruction Manager/Senior Estimator
Nunn Construction is seeking a motivated individual, looking for a long-term position, who takes pride in their work product and relationships. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter with excellent interpersonal communication skills. This person must be detail-oriented, able to follow through on short and long-term goals.
Working at Nunn is more than just collecting a paycheck. Nunn has comprehensive career development plans for all departments, where our employees’ ambition and hard work is recognized and supported with personal and professional growth opportunities. At Nunn, we also stress the importance of strong social connections amongst staff in cultivating a healthy and productive work environment. We host monthly team building activities and annual service opportunities to build a stronger team and relationships outside of work. We believe in supporting each other and our community!
This is a full-time position based out of our Colorado Springs office. The primary purpose of the Senior Preconstruction Manager/Senior Estimator is to lead and manage the preconstruction phase and bid process on assigned projects. The Senior Preconstruction Manager/Senior Estimator reports directly to the Chief Estimator or President depending on specific projects.
- Conduct themselves in alignment with the Nunn Core Values
- Coordinate with estimators, junior estimators, designers, operations management staff, and owner’s representatives for coordination of preconstruction services to deliver projects at the lowest reasonable cost in compliance with contract documents and quality measures.
- Assist in determining project feasibility
- Prepare accurate project cost estimates at all phases of the design process based on the nature and extent of the scope of work. Collaborate with the design team to meet the project budget and minimize costs while meeting project requirements.
- Review design documents at all stages of design to determine both the nature of scope and work to be performed.
- Lead the value engineering effort to provide cost savings ideas to the owner.
- Coordinate with the preconstruction and project teams to provide constructability reviews during all phases of design
- Participate in OAC pre-construction meetings. Manage the preparation of documents and meeting minutes for pre-construction meetings as necessary.
- Coordinate with the preconstruction and project teams to produce and maintain detailed preconstruction schedules during all phases of design.
- Verify material lead times for project pre-construction schedule creation.
- Lead the research process of subcontractor pool for assigned projects out of typical market.
- Ensure adherence to subcontractor prequalification requirements prior to the award of any subcontract
- Perform and/or manage the quantity takeoff process as needed for assigned projects.
- Perform and/or manage the field verification process as needed for assigned projects.
- Manage the bid solicitation process and answering of subcontractor bid related questions
- Create and maintain subcontractor bid documents
- Perform and/or manage the subcontractor pre-bid meetings as well as the preparation of documents and meeting minutes for pre-bid meetings
- Perform and/or manage the process of receiving and reviewing subcontractor/supplier bids for complete scope.
- Perform subcontractor post-bid interviews to vet out subcontractor proposals, scope, and labor force before subcontract award.
- Create detailed client proposal document(s) and accurately depict project scope to owners and project stakeholders.
- Lead and manage a hard bid process.
- Coordinate and lead the project hand off process from the preconstruction department to the operations department to insure project information is being transferred properly
- Perform and/or manage data entry for Nunn’s project cost history software.
- Support business development by maintaining client and industry relationships, offering technical expertise and advice during the entire timeline from opportunity, to pursuit, execution of awarded contract, and as needed during construction.
- Interface with municipalities to establish project-specific requirements; create and maintain relationships with permitting departments, local Fire Department, etc.
- Participate in project award interviews.
- Attend and participate in company business meetings, industry events, and conferences to promote Nunn Construction in and around its target markets.
- Comply with all work-related deadlines
- Takes ownership and accountability
- Fosters teamwork
- Serves as an example to others
- Is a good promoter of all things Nunn Construction, both internally and externally
- BS or MS in Construction Management, Estimating, Architecture, Engineering, or other industry related degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of applicable estimating or construction management experience
- Candidate must have no more than 2 employers in 5 years and no more than 3 employers in 10 years.
- Experience with commercial construction projects with project costs from 1 to 10 million minimum, 1 million to 60 million preferred.
- Experience with managing design, estimating, and project management with CM/GC and design/build projects
- Proficient with scheduling, estimating, and bid solicitation software and ability to proficiently learn software systems (Timberline, iSqFt, PlanSwift, Modelogix, Modeling Software.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs (Word/Excel)
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, controlled sense of urgency, and the ability to manage multiple/competing priorities.
- Process strong communication and interpersonal skills and be confident in his/her ability to assist in managing the entire preconstruction process
- Effective presentation skills.
- Team focused with initiative to work individually on specific tasks
- Disciplined work ethic.
- Service attitude.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Medical/Vision & Dental – eligible first of the month after 60 days of employment
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) – 3 weeks per year of PTO once accrued at 2.31 hours per week, beginning at time of employment
- Paid Holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2), Christmas
- 401(K) Retirement Savings Plan – eligible the first month after six months of employment. Company match is 100% of the first 4% of salary (and bonus). Employee deferrals and company match are 100% vested.
- Short/Long Term Disability – eligible the first month after six months of employment.
- Fiscal Year End Bonus – Normally 0-15% of annual salary dependent on profitability of company and individual performance. First year bonus will be prorated based on months of service.
- Vehicle Allowance
- Potential Relocation Allowance
In order to apply, interested candidates must do so by applying below.
Upload your resume, and cover letter in PDF format. Please label with ‘your name – Senior Preconstruction Manager.’
Salary range for this position is $90-115K, commensurate with experience.
Nunn Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.